Sunday 23 August 2015

Substance Painter 1.5.0 to Vray

 I've been testing out the new Vray export option in Substance Painter and it's pretty awesome. Automatically converts maps into maps that Vray understands like glossiness and IOR. These comparisons have had ZERO tweaks after export and ZERO shader tweaks in Vray. These show the results of just plugging in the maps and hitting render. Very impressed! I love Substance Painter but being a Vray user it was painful to say the least to manually try to adjust maps like metallic etc to something that works in Vray how it looked in Substance Painter. Great work team Substance Painter!



The red car paint does look different, but that may have been due to human error on my part. For the most part being able to just plug in the maps and render is fantastic. AAA+++

EDITED:
To achieve the rich red reflection in the car paint material in Vray I had to bump up the red values in the reflection color map as the map was more of a pink than red resulting in a faint red reflection rather than the rich red one seen in SP. The difference in saturation reminds me of the difference between linear and srgb colour space but the map is set to srgb.




18 comments:

  1. Hello

    Very good !
    I'm quite lost about which maps to put in witch Vraymats slots. Like SP Roughtness VS VRay Glossiness, What about HGlossiness, RGlossiness ? There is 2 "IOR" in Vray, must I use both of them ?

    I'm trying several hypothesis but without getting the same kind of results than you... Could you printout your "Maps" panels from VRAY so I can check the slots/maps matching ?

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      SP roughness doesn't natively work with Vray, the new export settings allow SP to convert such maps into maps Vray does understand. SP only deals with reflection IOR maps, not refraction.

      Glossiness = Reflection Glossiness
      IOR = Reflection Fresnel IOR

      Hope that helps! what 3D package are you using?

      cheers

      Delete
    2. I'll post a tutorial soon. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, where do you connect the reflection map? Do you turn off fresnel reflection? And height is displacement? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you explain how do you manage to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I do appreciate it a lot.
    I was trying several times with no success, I always confuse in which exported maps from SP (I used vray preset) I should plug in 3Ds Max Vray slot...
    can you help me with that?

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a tutorial soon. :)

      Delete
    2. woooow, thank you soooooo much. I'm looking forward to that

      Delete
  6. hey man, first of all thanks for your tutorial how to get the maps in vray.Since i test it with maay and vray i can't stop :D Btw you should uploud your cool materials to Substance Share , i'm sure that a lot of people would be more tha happy.thanks man

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://goo.gl/photos/nzWDXwm6aBtR2cHE8

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey mahn! great work. I'm curious as to why Vray's coloured reflection is brighter than Painter's. My hunch is that it needs to be linearised. ie. Apply the texture input gamma/ set colour space to sRGB before plugging it in so that the gamma does not get doubled up. Correct me if I'm wrong... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. im still waiting for ur Tutorial bro

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you are ready to move forward with your painting project and you have decided to start looking for a professional house painter to do the work. diamond paiting kits

    ReplyDelete